It's hard to go back and remember all the details of how we got to where we are today, from where we left in NZ. So I'll summarize.....there was not much debate about the fact that we wanted to move out west....but putting thought into action, and saying goodbye to family and friends was extremely hard. We questioned time and time again if we were doing the right thing. We had never been to Kelowna, and so really didn't know one area from the next. The thought of buying a house that we may potentially regret within weeks of arriving was terrifying. The thought of leaving our family, our friends, and putting our kids through yet another move to a place we new nothing about, only the hopes of putting lessons learnt in NZ into action, was out of this world scary. Way harder than moving to the other side of the world....because this time it was permanent.....this time our goodbyes meant more. All we could do was trust that our reasons came from a place that meant the world to us. That we would not lose our focus on what we feel life is all about.
So we packed the 3 kids, the cat, and a huge u-haul truck load of our possessions and embarked on the next chapter of our lives. And you know what...after the hours of panic, negotiating, packing, working, tearful questionings & goodbyes, we pulled up to our new home and within minutes felt we might just be okay!! Our U-haul truck was a HUGE come meet me sign that the neighbors took full advantage of. Taylor & Dylan made instant friends and were off playing within the hour. I have never lived in a neighborhood quite like this. I mean we had amazing neighbors in Winnipeg that we truly appreciated, and felt very lucky to have. But here...well it feels like we are back to living at RES in University except that everyone has their own house instead of dorm room. To be honest it took some getting used to!! The kids are always at one house or another with no shortage of options for friends to play with, and I find myself building a sisterhood of girlfriends where we raid closets for clothes, go for runs into the trails, and even dress me up....makeup, accessories and all..( cause we all know I don't know makeup!)...and send me out for my 1st staff christmas party. What a wonderful feeling.....to be so welcomed!
The kids are enjoying school and were surprised as we were, to see the parade of kids and parents walking to school that first day. Garage doors were opening left, right, & center....and the phenomenon continued well into the school year while the weather was warm. Now that winter has come the parade is no longer a parade but a test of "kelownian" winter strength......the weak sneak by in their cars, as the rest of us.. "crazy " as they say.....walk on!! haha!! Come on.....it's only gotten to -17!!!
Cam is adjusting to work....which has taken some time for sure. But has officially set his date for writing his MCAT so he has bigger things to come. I have started working part time as well. I am working in corporate health and loving it so far.
We have had a good portion of the family out to visit in the few months that we have been here......which really has made all the difference in the world. It has shown to us....and to them....that we are reachable....and there was a method to our madness in the whole reasons behind our move. I think it made it easier for them to understand why we did it....and easier for us to feel at home and that obviously we will be able to see each other more often then if we had stayed in NZ. Although I must say we are still trying to let go of that one. Keep the lessons. but let go of the feeling of just wanting to pack it in and go back!
Anyway, we have made good use so far of the mountains around us. We have been exploring the trails near our house, but now that the snow has come we have made our way out to the ski hill a couple of times with the kids. We just had Maia here with us and it felt great to give her, her first downhill ski experience. It was so amazing to see the three girls skiing up and down the bunny hill on their own....playing follow the leader ( well sort of....they always ended up flying in different directions) and having the best fall competitions. By the end of the day my job had gone from wiping away tears, and giving words of encouragement, to team "ski putter onner" as I collected the one who won the round of best wipe out!! I really don't think it ever was intentional but a "kid way" of supporting the one who fell first. If one fell, they all had to fall!!
Anyway, I know this was a very skimmed over version of what has gone on in the past months. There has just been so much! Family times, halloween parties, outings with friends, christmas concerts, and special memories with extended family who came to visit. I hope to be able to keep you up to date from here on in. I am off to the slopes with my girlfriends in the morning....I must say it's pretty cool to think that I get to go skiing in the mountains and be back before Cam starts his work day in the afternoon. YOU SHOULD SEE MY SMILE!!!
Talk soon.....Have a very happy holiday season......I'll wirte again very soon!!
love ya
The Adventurers
No comments:
Post a Comment