It was an interesting day today....my work is something that has been reaching a side of me that I haven't paid attention to for awhile...or at least I thought. Being a stay at home mom for the last 3 years, has really taught me so much more than I paid attention to. I guess you kinda just believe that you have all these separate parts of yourself, a woman, an athlete, a mom, a wife, a friend....the list goes on & on. It can get very detailed if we start to list off all the different aspects...or categories of ourselves. I always thought....or had this feeling when I was "learning" how to be a stay at home mom, that it was a trade off, a letting go of the career, the smart/intellectual challenge each day. Now I realize after returning back to the work world....that being a stay at home mom, has taught me so much more that I ever realized.
Take today for example. I am the Director of Corporate Health...so part of my role is to make sure employees, executives, CEO's are healthy and will stay healthy....this then benefits the company they work for or run. Substitute the word "employee" for "child" and you've got the definition of a mother. So today I have one of my clients in for his yearly executive medical which is basically a big health assessment in which a team of practitioners go over his physical, nutritional, & mental health. I was waiting there with him for his first appointment....5 mins...10 mins...15 mins...where is the doctor! In comes the other aspect of motherhood....PROBLEM SOLVING...I sprang into action as fast as when Tylin loses his blankie!! I am distracting the client to make sure that he is happy and not getting upset at the time he is waiting....in the meantime I am running around trying to figure out where the doc is. When I get the message he isn't going to make the appointment, I am reorganizing schedules, and figuring out a way to FIX IT. I'm working on getting in another Doc, and pulling together the other practitioners to help fill the holes. At the same time the Minister of health is in the building and I am given the opportunity to meet with her. Multitask much!! Think of all the times you have a screaming toddler...I lost my blankie!!...dinner is boiling over..& the doorbell rings all at the same time. You fly into action because this is what you do....this is what you deal with all the time!! You are a supermom!! It becomes second nature...you throw a few chocolate chips at the toddler to keep them happy...and buy you time....you move the pot to a different element as you shout to the door....I'll be right there!! DONE! That is exactly what I did....as every non parent was looking around awe struck and confused...you were wiping your hands off and getting ready for the next round!! Motherhood...the years with the little ones and all the skills you develop dealing with that....really are amazing. I bet a toddler..or better yet a 6 year old wih attitude out the kazoo could out argue a CEO anyday!! This has been our training ground!! I have learnt...don't ever devalue the amount you learn and skills you gain being a stay at home mom....it is amazing how much you gain!!
Well speaking of which....it's time for me to spring into action again....it's approaching the witching hour....bootcamp 101!
Love ya
The adventurers
No comments:
Post a Comment